Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Avoidy Girl

If I were a reverse superheroine, my name would be Avoidy Girl and my special power would be Avoiding Things. Just this week I have successfully avoided cleaning out the catbox, paying any one of 8 different bills, and checking for job leads on the off chance that my current gig doesn't work out. In the past I have also avoided returning library books (some of which I still have, YEARS later), phone calls, and, unfortunately, sample products valued at a hundred dollars or so from an old job that I borrowed to test and then moved and never gave them back. Here's a special peek at the inner workings of my Avoidy Girl brain:

I think "I should do x."
I do not do x.
I do not do x.
I do not do x.
I do not do x times, let's say, 150
I feel guilty for not doing x. I think "I should do x but it's been such a long time that I now feel horribly guilty. I will avoid this feeling utterly by putting off doing x until later."
I do not do x
I do not do x
I do not do x
I do not do x
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

It's a delightful shame cycle, really. You'd think I'd be sick of it by now but I am in my fourth decade on this earth and I haven't given up yet.

Yeesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home