Saturday, February 02, 2008

Stocking Up

I made my dinner for the week tonight instead of Sunday, owing to my visiting one friend tomorrow afternoon and then a group of them, at a Super Bowl party, tomorrow night. It was spaghetti with meat sauce and I always make enough to freeze. Really if I had my druthers I'd make enough to freeze of everything. I have this need to store things, like a chipmunk or a squirrel.

I was discussing this recently with another friend; she, too, tends to keep a lot of food on hand. When I asked her why she said it's because she's scared about the state of the world right now, and she wants to keep her family -- husband, son, and newborn baby daughter -- safe.

It's something more primal for me, this desire to have two, at minimum, of everything. It's related somehow to my big hips, where I tend to keep the extra food that's not in the freezer, and my fondness for pulling the covers up over my head and wrapping my arms around my pillow at night. I want to feel safe.

But then at the same time I think it would be wonderful to have a family to feed. I would like to have people around all the time to eat my cooking, someone to act out my domestic urges on. I suppose until that someone shows up I'll keep cooking for more than one and keep a steady supply of freezer bags on hand. Or maybe just have friends over for dinner more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home