Friday, May 23, 2008

Baby Bird Update

He's still alive!

I was awoken at 6:30 this morning by baby and adult crow squawks coming from the backyard. The little fellow is in his basket and looks OK. I did more research online and found out that most birds tend to spend a few days on the ground before they're able to fly, which is what I think is going on with Junior. He's grousing about being on his own while his parent keep a watchful eye overhead. When I went to my car they started flying around cawing loudly and they did the same when my neighbor let her dog out.

One other interesting crow fact: If you find an abandoned fledgling, you can bring it over to any random bunch of crows, get it to move its wings around and squawk, an those crows will take care of it. And once baby crows have grown up, they'll often go back to visit the crows that raised them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Overmatter said...

you're such a sweetie!

10:47 AM, May 23, 2008

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Aw, thanks.

You'd do the same thing, though, trust me. Even though it's a bird and is actually sort of a horribly ugly one but in a cute kind of way, it hits you right in your mother plexus.

11:37 AM, May 23, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah! Things like this really distress me too so high five you McPolack, you're a Good Woman.

4:05 PM, May 24, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home