Thursday, July 08, 2010

Stink Plant!

Exciting news greeted me at the large 'n fancy university today: the titan arum, which lives in the same building as me, was about to bloom. So I went to pay it a visit.

The stinky stink plant was kind of hard to find, and not only because it had not yet begun to stink. I had to take one elevator, then find a guy, then try some stairs, then hit the down button on another elevator, and then go up, and then walk through several rooms...at which point I came upon this:

photo of actual stink plant I sniffed


It was just me, the photographer, and the mildly wienus-like plant. So Igotveryveryclosetotheplantwithmynoseand...snifffffffff!

I smelled nothing. Which makes perfect sense, as the titan arum has not yet bloomed. I imagine it is working furiously at creating its grody rotten-meat aroma as I type, and will soon unleash it upon the earth. I am so going back to visit it next week; hopefully I will remember to bring my own camera.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Thursday said...

These have a very sneaky way of getting pollinated, attracting flies by their stink and then trapping them inside for a while to get drunk on the nectar. Once drunk and covered in pollen, they're let out to go pollinate.

4:37 AM, July 09, 2010

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just how I've been trying to attract a husband!

McP

10:39 AM, July 13, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home