Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Poka poka poke it with a stick

I've always been a curious girl. I'm positively filthy in most of my childhood pictures. When I accused my parents of not bathing me properly they told me it was impossible to keep up with my penchant for crawling through underbrush, in drainpipes, and up trees.

I'm a bit big for those activities now but my interest in the world remains. Now I like to poke stuff with sticks. It's a good way to learn more about whatever weird thing you might happen to be looking at, without getting your hands dirty. Recently I have poked:

1. Bear scat. It's black and sticky and has lots of berries in it.
2. Gull pellets. They're sort of like owl pellets -- made up of bits of undigested coughed up things. These pellets were made up of crayfish parts. Lots of little pincers.
3. Corn smut. Corn smut looks like this and when poked the stick goes in easily and black sooty stuff falls out.

I also examined some deer bones while on a walk with Dr. Moo. These I picked up with my bare hands. And I ate some corn and wild grapes and smooshed some soybeans.

Good times, good times.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

Corn soot is a delicacy in Mexico, known as huitlacoche. We love it with cheese :)

2:06 PM, September 14, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home