Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Disco Inferno

I stayed late at the large 'n fancy university last night so as to finish up some editorial work on a separate project because I find it hard to go to one job, work, go to another job, work, then go home...where I work more. Better just to fold the third bit into the second.

Anyhoo I started to smell a lovely wafting incense aroma. It got stronger. There was no one else around so where could it be coming from? Then I looked out the window and saw one of the large 'n fancy mulch piles a-smokin'. One lady was watching it and talking on her cell phone. Other people looked at it and kept walking. Soon a security guard showed up to help the cell phone lady with the watchin'.

Security guard must have cleared everyone away because the next time I looked it was just him...just him and some FLAMES! OK, not very big ones. But still. The mulch, the mulch, the mulch was on fire.

Security guard started trying to stamp the flames out with his feet, while a maintenance guy had a hose at the ready. It was then that Cambridge's finest showed up and got to work...

...watching the mulch.

Or so it seemed at first. Upon further observation it looked to me like one of them had some sort of backpack water-spraying thing. Another had a big metal pokey thing. Sort of like a hoe but with a handle twice as long and only two tines. He poked around with the pokey thing. Several other guys just stood there watching. There was also some chatting.

When I looked again, everyone had left. And save for the wet patch of mulch it was as if it had never happened.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

the big pokey thing is a firefighter approved marshmallow roaster. they must've forget to stop at the store on their way. ;)

12:04 PM, May 06, 2010

 
Blogger McPolack said...

So that's what it was! I gotta get me one of those. I bet it's also good for stealing other people's wieners at campgrounds.

10:18 PM, May 06, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home