Thursday, July 13, 2006

It Sucks to Be Me

So as I was checking my email at the transcription office today to see if I had any more responses to the stem cell research piece I am working on I discovered that the computer book I was five chapters into copyediting has been taken away from me and given to someone who has more technical editing experience.

In all honesty, this is becoming comical. I have now lost more jobs than I can count. I'm talking years of job losses and lately it's just been coming faster and faster.

There's this song in the musical Avenue Q called It Sucks to Be Me (you can find lyrics for it here but you have to do a lot of scrolling) where various and sundry folks around my age sing about how much their life sucks but in the end Gary Coleman ("from TV's Diff'rent Strokes/I made a lotta money/that got stolen by my folks!") wins by having the life that sucks the most.

I feel like Gary Coleman.

I really feel like it's time to throw in the towel in terms of doing any sort of professional work. I want to move to northern NH, go to work at the J. Crew outlet up there, write, hike, and just see what that feels like, because this just isn't working.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

9:43 PM, July 13, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

That is so perfect I almost do not know what to say. Thank you.

We will be fine.

10:11 PM, July 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if it's not working ...

4:21 AM, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Regina said...

Know that I admire you for persisting in the face of adversity and living your dream, whatever the outcome. You inspire me to be a better person and frequently add much needed levity to my own crappy sitch with your musings.

You have more talent and heart in your little finger than those other folks ever will - not to mention that none of them would ever be cool enough to own cow chairs.

9:57 AM, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Teri said...

That sounds like a good idea to me...the JCrew outlet/hiking/writing hiatus. There are so many ways of looking at your life, and sooo many options...sometimes I think believing that is the hard thing. The possibilities are endless...and we so often hem ourselves in to this career job model and lose sight of all the other ways of being.

You GO girl. Follow your heart. Really do it. Find a way.

(Just don't stop writing McPolack, Inc. I would miss you too much.)

7:51 PM, July 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home